What You Will Provide
What We Will Provide
- An account number.
- Two male mice of proven fertility between 3 and 7 months of age.
- You will document the fertility of the males used for cryopreservation.
- Cryopreservation of sperm in approximately 20 straws per mouse.
- Storage in liquid nitrogen.
- Test thaws to birth (IVF) are available for an extra charge.
- The time to cryopreserve sperm is only dependent on the availability of mature, proven males and can be performed immediately.
You will need the following information to order
- PI name, address and contact info
- Account number
- Genetic background
- Gene, transgene or trait
- Age of males
- Number of males
- Location of mice (building and room)
Success Rate of Sperm Cryopreservation
- The core has cryopreserved 22 strains of mice as sperm in an average of about 4 straws per strain.
Frequently Asked Questions
We use the 2008 Ostermeirer et al "Jax protocol" for sperm cryopreservation. This procedure works for sperm from the common inbred strains. Sperm cryopreservation does not have the long track record of embryo cryopreservation, so the reliability is not as established.
For some inbred strains with particularly poor superovulation--for example, BALB/c--reanimation may require that eggs from another strain be used for in vitro fertilization.
The fertility of the specific males to be used for crypreservation must be documented.
In vitro fertilization for reanimation.